bj institute initiates the digitization expertpool
Sites like Wikipedia and Open Data are publishing knowledge and allow the general public access to our cultural heritage. The movement has a broad base of volunteers who work for the respective projects.
Often access to expertise is missing and endangers the implementation of mainly major projects. The future GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) digitization projects have thus an urgent need for coordination, advice and professional guidance. Therefore bj institute initiated a competence- network for digitization (pool of experts). The project is the Swiss contribution to the formation of a German speaking expert pool, which is intended to support sophisticated and professional GLAM-digitization projects in the DACH region.
Needs were identified in the following areas:
- organizational requirements
- technological requirements
- legal issues
The pool of experts dedicated to front handle following activities:
- Create and maintain a list of digitization specialists (mail list)
- Promote the exchange of expertise between Wikimedia activists, professionals, universities and other interested parties
- Documentation of the experiences of past and current digitization projects
- Establish a communication platform to collect expertise and making it available (wiki)
- Development and collection of documentation, manuals and checklists to develop a flexible Project Kit for digitization .
- Providing use cases to support GLAM organizations in realizing open data projects
- Providing technical guidance on file formats, metadata,workflows, quality assurance, handling of large volumes etc.
- Organization of partner meetings, for example for special scans, plotter or printing equipment
- Workshops on digitization topics, according to the demand from entry-level to expert level
- Strategic collaborations and documentation on technical and legal issues (eg. long-term preservation or the protection of national heritage)
- Consulting and training services for specific projects within the available resources
- Dissemination to the public through reporting and articles
Government of Andhra and bj institute closed deals for the establishment of a skill development...
bj institute announces SOPEX (Solar Power Experience), a program to promote, understand and share...
It's about more than just die right technology to take our Cultural Heritage along with us to the...
How to unlock Sound and Image Heritage sustainable for the future